What image first comes to mind when considering malnutrition? Well, most of us immediately think of starving children in third world countries that we see on T.V. infomercials or on humanitarian atrocities of times past. What we need now to understand when talking about malnutrition/badnutrition, is that the overweight and obese (the overnourished) pose a bigger problem or area of concern than do those undernourished peoples with little or no access to adequate nutrients.

This overnourished and sedentary lifestyle is, as I understand it, the reason why we are dying from chronic illness than ever before. Our medical system does fairly well with acute disease and trauma. Though, when it comes to the main killers we have offer no solution and minimal improvement. It was stated in Dan Buettner’s Blue Zones lecture at TED Talks that, the Danish Twin Study demonstrates that only ≈10% of longevity is determined by genetics, the other 90% is determined by lifestyle. Why then are we bent so heavily toward medication and therapy and not sustainable lifestyle modification and reform?

According to a document sponsored by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, “The budget for CDC’s National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion represents only 9% of CDC’s $8.8 billion budget”. It would seem to me that the evidence is overwhelming in demonstrating that healthy choices, statistically, equate to healthier living and overall outcomes. Over the next couple of Blog entries we are going to spend some time looking at what some of the most monumental health studies have yielded

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *